Wednesday 26 November 2014

Study task 03- COP Essay Research ideas

My first idea for the COP essay was to base my essay on Branding but more specifically Logo Design. Within this I would like to discuss:

  • what makes a good logo design
  • logo meanings
  • understanding the importance of brand identity
  • slogans 
I then had a crit on this idea, and figured that it would be a hard thing to research and there isn't that many academic resources for it, I was un sure of how I would start this as a research brief for my esaay, I was left confused.

Is print dead?

After going back over my mind maps and ideas I decided to re-think. I also have a keen interest in print and designing for print. I am curious to whether print is dead and if there is any need for print? 

after a quick google search I came across this interesting article that raised some good points



New media
  • smartphones and apps mean you get news updates instantly, will there be any need for newspapers in the future?
  • digital publications are getting better and are on higher demand
  • rise of blogs and social media 
  • new media enables us to share information with a large audience 
Print 
  • something permanent 
  • fresh's parts of business that are all new media 
  • gains extra marketing 
  • physical side 
  • different experience
  • better quality 
the question I have so far is,

is print dead? with the rise of new media is print dying and is there a future for print? 

I took out a book from the library to research further 'media semiotics an introduction'...

Magazines 
  • 'ideal readers' of different magazines pg.57
  • the difference between subscribers and single readers 
  • adverts and consumerism 
  • gender identity 
  • about 15-30% of readers of womens magazines are men
Newspapers
  • what is news?
  • sales and price
  • news value
I had another crit on my question and I got some useful feedback
  • my question is going to have to change 
  • print and the ora of print 
  • social implications
  • collectables and one off's
  • users having control 
  • wearable tech
  • the change and development of editorial 
  • asses how is has developed to emerging tech
  • the internet and society 
  • communication is out job 
  • technology and adapting 
  • the movement of editorial 
what I discover in my research and writing the essay should inform my practical. The crit has been really useful, I think I am going to carry on researching and focusing on editorial and new media and how they complement and compete with each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment