Monday 24 March 2014

Studio Brief 2- Theory into Practice- Visual Response Research and Ideas

What is a publication? 
How is it made?
What format could it be?
How is the format relevant with the content? 
Is this important?
What are the conventions of publication? How do you work with these? 
What are the rules? 
Do you have to obey them? 

What is a publication? 

The preparation and issuing of a book, journal, or piece of music for public sale.

Essay 

My essay focused on advertising and the use of persuasion within advertising. Here are a few adverts that I focused on. 


Propaganda and war poster

Positive cigarettes adverts 


Celebrity status within advertising 


Quick mind map of ideas 


Celebrity endorsement, I could focus my publication on celebrity endorsement and how a brand use a celebrity to promote a product, I could make this in a magazine/ zine format. In my essay I wrote about how it promotes the celebrity as well as the brand/product. I could look into a lot of adverts including Beyonce and her super bowl adverts lady gaga and how she promotes beat headphones in music videos ect, I could also look into why do people even care about celebrities? 




1950's Women's Cigarette advertising, I feel this could be an interesting subject to look into. I could look into how women were the first people to smoke in the 50's and how it was fashionable. 


I looked into a brand called death cigarettes in my essay a brand that didn't last long because they were hitting consumers with the truth, at first people thought it was a joke and brought a packet, but the novelty soon wore off. The packets are now a collectable item.   

I could look into how advertising cigarettes over the years has changed


To put the cigarette adverts into a publication I think I would do it the size of a cigarette packet and have it expanding, like it is expending through the years showing the change, I would use type and text within the publication. 

One of my favourite brands that advertise are american apparel,  I went online and looked at their advertising archive, I found this very interesting seeing how the brand changed through out the years. 





I would make a publication on how sex sells, this could end up being too explicit though, however a lot of brands do this including brands like Dolce and Gabbana and Tom Ford, there would be plenty to look into.





I looked a lot into Chanel and the ridiculous amount of money that they spend on advertising by using celebrities and the way they film things. What I find particularly interesting is the way the brand has changed, I would like to do vintage channel adverts and show how the brand has such class and elegance and show how it has changed. 



A Chanel advert that I spotted in trinity


Some leaflets I picked up from a Chanel makeup counter to see what they already offer. 


To make a publication for Chanel I would put all of the adverts along with information into a point of sale that can also be transfered into a booklet when folded back up, the publication would be made to look quite vintage as I would put it in black and white. 


No comments:

Post a Comment