Tuesday 17 February 2015

COP Proposal for practical work

What is your research question?

My essay question is 'With the high impact of new media and the internet, what is publication today?'  so within this there are various things that I could research into to think of a question for the practical side of COP. I could look into such as publishing including magazines, newspapers and books. New media including social media, new technologies and the ways in which we are adapting and getting hooked to them. 

Do you have a hypothesis (an assumed conclusion that you will endeavour to prove)?


I kind of want to prove that publication is becoming more digital however I am not happy that it is. I feel as if there are many points that I would like to prove and wouldn't be able to choose one some of these points are: 
- that people are becoming obsessed with new media technologies
- how people are finding there voices thanks to new media, how news can travel in a flash
- we have no need for newspapers anymore thanks to new media
- we will always have a love for niche good looking magazines that are published via print 
- if you have something printed it has a better value than something digital

Sources of primary/ secondary research? 


For primary research I conducted a survey for my essay and got some good feedback about how people tend to get there news and whether people actual subscribe to digital publications, this was useful and may help me decide on what I want to do for my practical. For secondary research I used the internet reading various blogs and articles relating to the topic. I also took a few books out from the library on new media semiotics and publishing. 

How will your practical work relate to your written work (synthesis)?


I am unsure exactly what I want to do yet I need to develop my ideas further but my initial idea is to make something completely digital into something printed making it more substantial and worth more, or the other way around. 

What methods will you use to research, develop, create and test your work?


I will research further by using the internet and the library again, in terms of primary research instead of doing another survey I could could just ask for peoples opinions on the topic, I could ask people of a variety of age range to see how there opinions differ. 


To move forward I need to focus my research into one specific area and ask myself a question as I feel as if there are so many things I could look into with my essay question, I need to think about a time line and even the work out so I don't leave everything till the last minute, I also need to think about booking a print space in advance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment