Thursday 17 April 2014

Developing my own American Apparel adverts

Over the past couple of weeks I have been doing various photo shoots to make my own American Apparel ads, it has been a lot of fun. I want to make my own ads to show how well American Apparel actually advertise, I haven't took this too seriously as I want it to have a humorous tone. I have looked a various American Apparel ads for inspiration and have found their archive of all their ads (link below)
The point of my publication is to show how controversial American Apparel are with their advertising as many of us don't realise as a lot of their adverts are banned in the UK.



This is one of the first shoots I did on my friend Anne, with this I was trying to replicate the ad below. 

Here is the end result, I have left a few of the photos with the original model and some with Anne, this to show a contrast and make people look twice. 




Another AA advert that I have tried to replicate is the 'Fluffy time' one, an advert that isn't controversial but I like how different it is for their other ads. I took various photos of my scruffy dog Barney to replicate this, I also looked a the different type settings and layouts the AA use, everything that they design is very clean and crisp. What I find funny about this advert is that AA state where the dog is from and how old she is and the fact she is a 'massive fan' of American Apparel, I have added the same detail into my advert. 






This is an advert from 2001 that I have replicated of my friend Ryan, I kept many of the features the same, but just added a weird face, personally I find the original advert very dull and boring and it wouldn't make me want to buy the tee. 



I really like this advert by AA I love the use of colour and it looks like it has been done on a film camera. It is very simple ad and doesnt advertise any of AA products however I think it still works and suits their brand. 


I replicated this ad using my dad, again keeping it simple, this is not serious. I have kept the small details in including the website, and the title from the original advert, just so it looks more in context. 




Here is another photo shoot I did of my friend Anne and put it in an American Apparel advert.




At this moment I don't have a photo to put on the front of the publication, I know I want it to be something back and white and one of my own photos so people automatically know that there will be re-makes within the publication. 





For this advert I have combined a number of AA adverts together, I used my Friend Hollie, again going to the humous tone, as AA usually go for the 'sex sells' advertising approach I have done the complete opposite. 



Another advert with my friend Hollie that I have remade in AA style. Looking though their archive they introduce a lot of their models, I have done this on this advert.  

I will continue making more adverts for my publication as I am really enjoying this process.

Other things that I will include in my publication:

-advertising in different countries and the restrictions
-why are AA so controversial? is this a good or bad thing?
-American Apparels photographers
-How well AA advertise
-Why the use of Helvetica? 

No comments:

Post a Comment