Thursday 14 January 2016

COP- Evaluation


My aim for this practical piece was to turn something completely digital into print to prove print has better physical qualities than digital. After much debate into whether to focus on a website or application I decided to focus on an application as the piece of print could be turned interactive like every application.

After researching into applications and creative websites, I decided to focus on the visual social media application, Instagram. I decided to go for Instagram as it is a well known application and not many people actually print their images off nowadays so a printed version of Instagram could show how the printed images has more value. Once I decided to go with Instagram I started to break down the application into app maps, figuring out where each link takes you to and how it all connects. My main concern was how I was going to fit all of the content from Instagram into one print publication. Next, I had to figure out the format, this proved quite difficult as I knew I wanted in to fold out in some way for it to become interactive, I just didn't know how. While figuring out the format I was also thinking about the print method of the publication. After much thought I decided to go with a square format publication as Instagram is based on a square grid, the publication would become interactive on each page with pull outs and stickers.

My ideas developed and I decided that this publication had to include a variety of print techniques to prove that print has more value. The print techniques that I needed to include was screen printing, foiling and letterpress. I had never experimented with foiling and letterpress techniques until now. The inside is digital printed with screen printed fold outs to show that contrast between digital and print.

The content of the publication includes all of the creatives I interviewed for my dissertation as they are all connected to print. As the content is based on print and the techniques inside experiment with print, the audience of the publication would be creatives and people interested in print.
There were quite a few problems I had to overcome while creating this publication, mainly with screen printing and letterpress, but they were expected problems as they are both hand printing techniques. A change I would of made was to screen print more foldouts which then would of left more room for error when letter pressing.

Time management throughout context of practice has been good, doing little bits of my dissertation each week helped it to come together slowly, and I have enjoyed researching and writing my dissertation. Linking my dissertation and a practical piece at first seemed tricky trying to decide what digital application to base it on. 

I think the message I wanted to convey has been successful, the printed publication is hands on and interactive the way I wanted it. I have included different textured stock for the physical feel.
Visualising the final piece through all the development and experimenting has been difficult however overall I am happy with the way the final publication has turned out. I have learnt new techniques that I will definitely be going back to in the future. I think it represents Instagram well in a fun and interactive way. Overall I have thoroughly enjoyed COP3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment