Wednesday 13 January 2016

COP Practical- Synthesis

The focus of my dissertation is print publication in the digital era, exploring how the publication industry is changing and developing due to new media and technology. The publication industry is of concern, their is becoming less of a need for newspapers because of the digital era however niche magazines are thriving off all physical aspects digital can't do. This is a concern for the publication industry, as it is the industry that I may want to go into it is relevant and and interesting topic to explore. 

My dissertation is based on an argument, and discusses why the digital era could be a positive for publication and how print is going to survive. Collating research from primary interviews and secondary sources.I have gained a lot more knowledge about the future of publication, my opinions have changed in someways, I do think print will survive and their will still be more print publication arriving on the market however they will utilize digital platforms such as social media for advertising and possibly a website. 

For the practical piece I wanted to turn something completely digital to print, to prove how print can have more value than digital. I chose to convert Instagram into a physical peice as it is highly visual. I named the publication 'Printgram' a printed version of Instagram. The concept behind Printgram is that it would be a quarterly publication displaying print designers/ creatives/ businesses with their images off Instagram instead of promoting themselves online, promoting with print. 

I went for blue and pink as the main colours for the publication as blue is the main colour of Instagram and pink is a complementing colour. Throughout the publication I have used various print techniques to show off the qualities of print, including digital, screen print, letterpress and foiling. Creating various textures for print physically. 

It has made me come to the conclusion that print publication will not fade because of the digital era but will only grow stronger. Print and digital can complement each other well, the future is exciting for publication. My conclusion clarifies the relevance of equal balance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment