Thursday 23 January 2014

End of Module Evaluation

 Brief 1- Frame

This was my favorite brief of the whole module as I felt you had a bit more freedom to do your own thing and I enjoyed researching into different brands. I found that different brands had their own identities, and you cant just design one design to fit all brands as it has to fit into the shop and the look/ feel of the brand, I found this from looking at the comparison of brands such as Ikea and Urban Outfitters. Design wise I enjoyed looking into photography and based my project on different types of photographers; I enjoyed experimenting with photography to come up with something different and eye-catching. If I had more time on this brief I would of added hand drawn type onto my designs for Urban Outfitters as I feel it would have been more fitting, also I feel as if I should of considered my idea more when working with this brief and asked myself, why?

 Brief 2- Research

This brief was interesting as I was given the word ‘way marking’ to work with. I really enjoyed this brief, as previously I didn’t even know what this word meant. The research was difficult but challenging in a good way. I feel as if I should of looked at more books rather than having most of my researched based online. I enjoyed gathering peoples opinions and asking questions as some of the responses surprised me. My favorite part of the brief was photographing signs on different journeys that I took; different journeys use hundreds of different signs for different purposes.


Brief 3- Page Layout

I found this brief the most challenging, as it was a new program and a new skill that I need to develop. I didn’t realize how hard it is to design a decent looking page layout and that so much goes on behind them. I particularly looked into grid systems as I felt this was fitting for the structure of signs. Using InDesign was good, learning the basics but being able to do so much with them. With this brief if I had more time I think I should have been more creative with it and maybe add illustrations and not just used photography and made sure that I had enough information to spread across the five page spreads.

Brief 4- Communicate


For this brief the problem I found is that people that can’t drive don’t particularly know the signs that well on the road, however it is essential for everyone to know the road signs. To begin this brief I looked into the Highway Code as a starting point. I then remembered how difficult I found learning my theory test as I can’t learn from reading books. I looked into the different types of learning and what you can do to help different learners learn. I focused mainly on the kinesthetic learner, the people who have to do something to learn. I wanted to make a little leaflet that turned into a poster for help with revision for learner drivers. The poster involves having to actually draw out the signs as a way of learning. I had a few problems on InDesign and illustrator but I have now learnt from them. I would of liked to have had more time on this particular brief as I feel I could of extended it further and made an app to go with the leaflet, also I could of maybe tried screen printing the poster on a larger scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment