Sunday 5 January 2014

Brief 2: 100 Peices of Research- Way marking

For this brief the focus is research. I go given the word 'way marking' to research into. At first I didn't have a clue what it was, but now since researching I have found it very interesting. I have chosen to research into signs within travel. 


20 Facts


I found this more difficult than I initially thought, I used the internet a lot as a source, but I also read books such as the high way code, to look into the colours and shapes of signs. I think that signs are interesting as they have a lot of history and graphic design background. 

















20 Facts 

1) Transport is a sans serif typeface first designed for road signs in the United Kingdom.
2) Motorway typeface made specifically for the motorway, limited character set - only the numbers "0" to "9", the letters "M", "A", "B", "N","E" "S", "W", the symbols "(", ")" and "&", and the word "Toll"
3) Margaret Calvert designed many of the road signs used throughout the United Kingdom, as well as the Transport font
4) Margaret also designed Rail Alphabet font used on the British railway system and an early version of the signs used in airports
5) Kinneir’s signs were installed on the very first motorway, the Preston bypass in 1958
6) On 5 December 1958 Britians first motorway was opened
7) Henry Beck, was an English technical draftsman best known for creating the present London Underground Tube map in 1931
8) Edward Johnston, CBE was a British craftsman who is regarded, with Rudolf Koch, as the father of modern calligraphy. Most famous for designing the sans-serif Johnston typeface that was used throughout the London Underground system until it was re-designed in the 1980s.
9) The first ever road markings that were seen in the UK were in 1918 and the first ever was the famous white line.
10) Signs on motorways - blue backgrounds
11)Signs on primary routes - green backgrounds
12) Signs with blue circles but no red border mostly give positive instruction.
13) Warning signs Mostly triangular
14) The sign might say, “Las Vegas,” but it isn’t actually inside the city limits.
15) The sign, originally intended to last only a year, was declared a historical landmark in 1973
16) In the beginning of the nineteenth century, road signs were made from wood and used the dull lead based paint
17) Stop sign is the only octangualal sign
18) A thousand road signs are to be have been taken down in a south Wales county because they are considered "unnecessary".
19) Bicycles outsold cars in most EU countries in 2012
20) Although some organisations have posted signs along the Route 66, they are not prevalent enough to be able to count on

20 opinions

For the opinions part of my research I cjose to do it on Facebook as people could answer my questions in their own lesure. 

This is what I asked 

Hellooo, I’m doing a research brief for uni about ‘way marking’ and I am researching into signs within travel, and I need to get a few opinions.
Where is it you find signs most useful? Eg. On a car journey, round a shopping center, new city ect.
In you opinion how can signs be improved so you can find your way around easier?   
Do you think some roads are far too cluttered with signs and it makes things confusing?
Do you think that by now technology should have been improved to provide more up to date news while traveling/as you are traveling?
What’s your overall opinion of signs when you travel? Whether it be walking, cycling, driving ect. 
I would be grateful if you could answer them in as much depth as possible and give your overall opinion of signs when you travel (: thanks a lot!  

I asked long questions as I wanted more descriptive answers, here are the opintions I got back. 

Where is it you find signs most useful? Eg. On a car journey, round a shopping center, new city ect.

1)Driving in a new place/ area 
2) I find traffic/driving signs the most useful in a new place 
3) Personally, I find signs most useful when travelling in new areas. Having recently moved to a new area I find myself relying on road signs far more than in the familiar territory of home. As well as this it is when holidaying that I rely on road signs most; therefore identifying tourists as a majority who rely upon signs.
4) I find them quite useful on car journeys but most of the time I just use a SatNav if I dont know where im going. I use them a lot in big shopping centres too and places like schools and hospitals.
5) definitely find signs most useful in a new place, sometimes when driving but not when using a satnav, not really useful in shopping centres, but they're always useful for like toilets and exits.


In you opinion how can signs be improved so you can find your way around easier?   

1)Fewer signs, up to date event signs (temporary signs removed when no longer current)
2)they could be improved by being made really simple and clear with good colours
3)I do this some signs are too cluttered and confusing, to improve signs I believe they have to be clear and easy understand but the placement is also important!
4)Sign posts a more maps in new places
They might be improved by illuminating signs on smaller roadsides as they tend to be lit on motorways and main roads but not in smaller villages or country lanes.
5) Sings need to be updated regularly with simple, easy to follow but accurate details.

Do you think some roads are far too cluttered with signs and it makes things confusing?


1)Yes overcrowding mainly causing confusion
2) yeah road signs are really cluttered, makes it difficult to read in the time you've got
3) By now I would of thought everything would be digital, the signs should be more technical
4) Motorways can be way too confusing, too much is put on one sign

5) Yes, particularly in the region of Wales as there is of course the necessary requirement of two sets of signs in English and Welsh. This can become cluttered and make it difficult to follow correct signs or know the road requirements, which may endanger those travelling.
6) Sometimes they are cluttered and can be confusing, particularly on motorways, when you only have a few seconds to look while you drive past.


Do you think that by now technology should have been improved to provide more up to date news while traveling/as you are traveling?

1)yeah the updated signs would be more useful like on the motorway when there will be queues ahead and stuff. think that carparks need to have signs that tell you where free spaces are
2) Some signs don't catch my eye whilst driving which means I sometimes miss a turn off or I can end up going the wrong way!
3) Definitely, on sat navs and stuff like that 
4) Yes, although Sat-navs have provided us with directional help they fail in the area of being up to date. While some have the capabilities of identifying traffic jams or road works they still fail in detail, and the ongoing cost to have your sat-nav updated hurts the consumer continuously after their apparently beneficial purchase.
5) I do think so yes. Technology should be able to provide you with up to date knowledge on everything from new roads and routes to traffic alerts due to roadworks, accidents etc. Even SatNavs more than often take you down a road that doesnt even exist anymore

What’s your overall opinion of signs when you travel? Whether it be walking, cycling, driving ect. 

1) Generally good but room for improvement regarding overcrowding etc
2) overall opinion of signs is that they're good for telling you where to go...? they're useful in airports espcially when you're in a different country is they use symbols instead of words 
3) Overall, they're fine, I don't drive yet so I don't have much of an opinion about road signs yet by in cities I really have to rely on them and I don't like how they aren't that clear most of the time. I like it in places like Birmingham when you have the big maps signs
4) Signs are, of course, very beneficial when travelling in unfamiliar places, but there are still areas for improvement. Vandalised signs take far too long to be replaced after a report has been made, affecting the individual tourist and the image of the region, town or village where the vandalism occurred. However, this is a minor complaint in comparison to the good they provide throughout the country. Besides helping people find their way, speed signs save lives by acting as reminders to drivers, and signs themselves promote tourism to less known areas; be it in the car, train, bus or even walking.
5) Overall I do find signs pretty helpful when I travel by car, even with the latest technology like SatNavs that aren't always accurate.

I am really pleased with the answers that I received, I think it was a weird questionare to give and I'm surpsised at the amount of replies I got. 

20 words


Here I have complied some words that I assosiate with way marking, I pciked out words while I was researching. 

1) Motorway
2) Symbol
3) Type
4) Familiar
5) Recognizable
6) Worldwide
7) Useful
8) Landmarks
9) Information
10) Direction
11) Guide
12) Travel
13)Multi-lingual
14) History
15) Tourists
16)Cycle
17)Walk
18)Bike
19)Train
20)Plane

20 Statistics 


I found this the most difficult one,  I seem to have based it more on travel rather than signs, as I am looking into signs within travel, I used the internet the most for this part. 

BBC Servey

1) Some 67% of the 2,500 people polled did not recognise "no through road" signs
2) one-third could not identify the sign for "no motor vehicles”
3) Fewer than 33% knew what a "no cycling" sign looked like
4) One-third were confused by height restriction signs
5) n London alone 8,000 repeater signs and 4,000 poles installed on the capital’s roads in the early 1990s have been ripped out

Unnecessary signs

6) In Hampshire 200 traffic signs have been taken away along a 12 mile stretch
7) Somerset has also done away with a further 1,000 signs
London
8) 1,229 million Tube passengers each year
9) 26 million visit London in year
10) tourists in the city hit a record £10.5billion for the city

Worldwide

11) The longest train journey without changing is the twice monthly through-coach Moscow - Pyongyang via Khasan, Tumangan = 10,175 km in 210 h 20 min.
12) Shanghai has the most cyclists, over 60% of people cycle in Shanghai with 9,430,000 million bicycles and 19,213,200 people
13) Route 66 is 2448 miles long linking Chicago to Los Angeles
14) The Great Wall of China is 13,170 miles long
15) 8 million miles of road signs in the US
16) Only 5% of Americans use public transport
17) 61% of americans have never used public tansport

General Travel

18) 32m in the us alone and about 2000 die per day using the bus
19) In the UK alone over 643,500 people use the train  per year
20) 1.5 billion people travel by plane each year


20 Photos 

I these photos on different journeys that I took while on Christmas break, I took journeys by train, bike, foot and car. It is interesting to see all the signs that are necessary. 













No comments:

Post a Comment