Wednesday 23 October 2013

Brief 2: Alphabet Soup- Illustrator



I need to develop my 10 initial ideas from the previous brief into one full alphabet by choosing to develop one of my designs and illustrating it.  From the crit I found a lot of people liked the leaf idea, how humans would not exist without the aid of plants, also I personally like the ghost idea as i think i will find it easiest to design into a full alphabet. 



Here I have developed the Helvetic alphabet abit more as I found that I wouldnt be able to do alot with the normal one as a full alphabet. I delevloped it to make it fatter, and to keep to the space theme. 



Then taking the leaf idea I then experimented with leaves with leaf rubbings and scanning them in and experimenting in photoshop to look at the veins in a leaf in more detail. I then drew out the whole alphabet and experimented with my three favourite ideas, I quickly found this alot harder than i orginally thought. I found the alien one doesnt work well as a full typeface as the eyes dont fit well in the letter 'i' and 'j'. 
 I enjoyed experimenting with leaves and seeing the different patterns they produce when you manipulate them differently, I think this was a useful exercise. 


Here i wanted to see the ghost type as a full alphabet, so i redrew the original out and added the ghost features, I think this has worked well. I like the cartoon theme to it, it feels quite illustrative and child like. 


I also wanted to see the leaf rubbing thing in a full alphabet so I drew out the full alphabet again and rubbed over it with wax crayon and leaves and cut the letters out and scanned them in. I love this as a design, to develop it on illustrator I think I might draw the letters out and add the leaf rubbings in, however I'm not very advanced in illustrator so I think I might find it tricky. 


No comments:

Post a Comment