Friday 25 October 2013

Brief 3: Alphabet soup- Typeface Crit

Today I had my crit on Studio Brief 3, creating a typeface on our partners. This was the most useful crit so far! We did the crit in a different format instead of us all gathered round a table and talking about our work we placed our work out on the desks and next to them we put an A2 sheet of paper and we all went round and wrote comments on peoples progress. This is such a better way as the people who don't normally say anything in a crit can write something about the work anominusly. 


This was so useful! It has given me some great feed back, what people thought was good and why ect. but I have also gained some great ideas of how to move forward with this brief, which I good as I was struggling for ideas. 
Some key points/ideas I have gained from todays crit:

  • Because of Harry's favourite designer being Brockmann why not think about grids?
  • Try merging some fonts together, maybe overlapping two or more fonts
  • Develop the idea of the letters being laid back
  • He is a big fan of clean sans serif type, you could develop it to look more swiss/clean
  • His handwriting looks italic you could work with this idea 
  • Taller font (architecute) and Italic for laid back personality/ handwriting, possibly combine?
  • Architecture idea is strong, maybe look into 3D structure? City design? 
  • Mix his handwriting with a font from his favourite designer 
  • The change of the x-eight is effective but doesn't really represent architecture 
  • Research into type associated with architecture? Most common typefaces used on buildings and/or Blueprints during the design stage
  • Look into structure
  • Refer to Harrys handwriting, why not add angles and diagonal lines and his handwriting is quite italic in different directions, quite unique
  • Make the font chosen more symmetrical and balanced
  • Architecture a strong idea... look into different buildings, shapes, heights and manipulate text
To move forward I am going to develop some of these ideas that I find interesting, I love the idea of the 3D lettering to represent Harry's love for architecture, I think this could be an interesting concept. I am also going to look further into Brockmann and maybe look into the grid concept. I think it would be good to look into Harry's handwriting further and look at the angles and the italics in it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment