Thursday 10 October 2013

Brief 1: Development of ideas, Design Skills


Today I have started to develop my ideas into a typeface. When I first got the subject of 'existence' initially i was baffled and confused on to were to start, but i feel if i research further into the subject i will develop my ideas a lot more. 


Here I created another mind map, where i looked into existence more thoroughly. Also as i was looking into the subjects i started to look into basic shapes of ideas that i had, i did this because it would give me some ground to work with when i did start to design my letters.  After creating this mind map I then felt that I was ready to start designing my letters. 



Here i started to experiment with the first concept I had of using the space them, going down the route on the existence of space and the universe. I decided to put the axis on the O as the planetary ring, i think this was a subtle idea, however I'm not sure i could follow this through with a lot of letters in the alphabet  So i then went on to but the planetary ring around the O, making it more versatile for other letters. I think this has been effective. Also i look some inspiration from the Nasa logo for the red ring, and you cant really go wrong with black, white and red. 



Another experiment I tried and loved was the idea of some alien eyes within the shapes, I experimented with upper and lower case letters and moving the eyes, to develop this idea further I think I could experiment with making the eyes bigger and smaller. 



I love the simplicity of this idea, the idea behind this is that we as humans are small in existence in terms of the universe, so i made the eye of the letters smaller. Also i moved the eye in position of where earth is in the solar system. 



Here i wanted to display the existence of time, I couldn't think of many ways of doing this, so i attempted to make it look mediaeval in some way but just editing the basic helvetica A. I don't think this has been very successful, but i like the idea behind it. 



I like the idea of the existence of mermaids as a mythological creature, here i chose a feature of the mermaid, being the tail and added to the end of the letter t, i think this has worked well however it does sort of remind me of a whale. So from there to make it look more like a mermaid i decided to added the wavy hair and put the font in italics to experiment further, i think this has worked well but think there maybe too much detail to it now as i wanted to keep it minimal. 



 When i was looking at the letter a in the helvetica font the first thing i noticed was the fact that the eye looked like a leaf. So I then went with the idea that humans wouldn't exist without the power of plants providing us oxygen. I really like this concept as it's not obvious but it makes sense.



Here I did a cartoon style P, that i intended to look like a ghost, for the existence of ghosts. Ive asked a few people and they cant see the ghost in it, however i think it looks quite cute.



As another quick experiment I wanted to portray the existence of hell. To do this i simply put some devil horns on. I think this has worked quite well and think i could develop this idea further onto other letters as it could be quite versatile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment